Thanksgiving is a time of celebration. It’s a time to gather with friends and family and reflect on what it is that we’re thankful for. Between the great food and warm atmosphere, it’s not surprising that Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday for many of us.
If you have hearing loss, you may worry that you won’t be able to participate in the celebrations as much as you used to. Perhaps you fear that you’ll no longer be able to follow the conversation at the table.
To help you enjoy this holiday to the fullest, we’ve put together our top 5 tips for Thanksgiving dinner with hearing loss.
5 Tips For Thanksgiving With Hearing Loss
- Choose Your Spot Wisely - Placement around the table matters. A seat with a wall behind you can help to reduce the distraction of background noise. Try to sit somewhere that offers you the best visibility of the guests’ faces. Seating yourself centrally in the table improves the likelihood you’ll be able to engage in the conversation.
- Wear Your Hearing Aids - This is one thing you absolutely should not forget this Thanksgiving. Make sure you wear your hearing aids, and bring along a spare set of batteries just in case.
- Minimize Background Noise - Try to keep background noise to a minimum. Keep music or other media at a lower volume. If you’re visiting friends or family who traditionally like their music a little louder, don’t be embarrassed to ask them to turn it down.
- Give Your Ears A Break - Focusing on conversation at social events can be mentally fatiguing. Give your brain and your ears a break by finding a quiet spot to rest for a few minutes. This will help re-energize you for the next round of social conversation.
- Tell Your Friends And Family - You may be tempted to avoid mentioning your hearing loss. However, a gentle reminder for friends and family that you have difficulty hearing can make a world of difference. Politely ask them to speak up a little louder, and don’t be ashamed to ask someone to repeat something.
Thanksgiving is an inherently social holiday, and helps kick off the holiday season. Your hearing loss shouldn’t prevent you from enjoying it to the fullest! If you’d like to get your hearing aids checked out before the holiday season starts, please give the Hearing Balance & Speech Center hearing professionals a call. We’d be happy to help! Call us on 1-800-HEAR-IT-1 or click here to request an appointment online.