New Year, New Resolution: Focus on Hearing Health
Do you make new resolutions every New Year? If you do, you should consider thinking about your hearing health when making your list. Your hearing is precious and many people only truly appreciate it after it’s gone. Here are 5 tips to help you focus on your hearing health this year and into the future.
- Protect Yourself from Loud Noise: Noise-induced hearing loss is one of the biggest dangers to your hearing. Be prepared all the time to protect your ears. Carry small ear plugs everywhere you go, just in case things get too noisy. You can also put an application on your smartphone or tablet that can measure the noise levels of any environment you are in. Noise levels over 85 decibels can become dangerous, especially over long periods of time.
- Turn Down the Volume when Using Media: It is important to recognize that one of the biggest causes of noise-induced hearing loss is listening to media too loudly. This includes talking on mobile phones at high volume or listening to media with earphones at high noise levels. Most mobile devices are equipped with a noise level warning, but as a general rule, keep the volume under 60%. You may not realize that turning up the volume can damage your hearing. If you find yourself constantly turning the volume up past 60% to hear properly, then consider having your hearing evaluated.
- Exercise: This is a common New Year’s resolution for different reasons, but exercising can also preserve your hearing health when you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Eat Healthy: Just like exercising, eating right is another popular New Year’s resolution. Just like exercising, a healthy diet can help protect your hearing.
- See Your Hearing Professional Regularly: Even if you have been diagnosed with hearing loss, you should still see your hearing professional regularly. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that if you already have hearing loss, it can’t get worse. Visiting our clinics for regular hearing assessments can keep your hearing health at its best.
Hearing, Balance, & Speech Center is Here to Help You with all Your Listening Needs
Have more questions about your hearing? Please contact us at Hearing, Balance, & Speech Center to speak with one of our hearing professionals or schedule an appointment at any one of our 6 convenient locations in Connecticut: Hamden, Waterbury, Norwalk, Wallingford, Branford, or Bristol. We are here to help you and take care of all your listening needs.
Research / Sources